Sunday, March 29, 2009

"I thought you said this would be flat."

"I thought it would be! I looked at the map!"

- Actual conversation I overheard during mile 1 of the Mercy Heart Mini Marathon

Maybe they should have looked at the ELEVATION. :-)



Ask most runners/walkers in Cincinnati what the hardest race is and they'll tell you it's the Heart Mini. The course is almost all hills, it's an out and back, and the wind is in your face for the last five miles. Awesome! Yet we continue to do it, year over year. Masochists, we are.

Despite the wind, the rain, and the 40 degree temperatures, I really enjoyed the race. Highlights o' the day include:

- I set a PR! I had no idea what this race would bring given my dismal performance last week, but I finished in 1:20:12, about an 8:38 pace per mile. This is two and a half minutes faster than last year's time AND I ran a negative split with my last few miles ranging from 8:12 to 7:52.

- I got to run with my friend Meg from the Half group. We only see each other at races so I was pumped to tackle this course together.

- Actually I saw a ton of old friends today - it was almost like a homecoming. I got to catch up with my coaches from last year, some buddies from the Fall group, and my friend Karen who I have been talking to on Facebook but haven't seen since high school! Karen and I finished together - totally random but very cool.

Overall, I think I was better prepared this year. Not sure if that's due to Coach Joe Fung's workout plan or if I'm just in better shape? What's funny is that I run Torrence (the beastly hill in mile 6) at least twice a week and I actually thought it was the hardest part of today's run. Sucker!

Also, I normally hate out and back courses but Meg pointed out that we could focus on the runners coming towards us for distraction. It worked! I had a great time cheering for all the Running Spot elites and my dad and my cousin Holly (who totally didn't see me :-)

At any rate, I have slightly more motivation now to keep going with the marathon training. I needed a good run...

No comments: