Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Grazing my way through the taper

You know those farm animals that have to be led away from the trough when mealtime is over? I think I’m officially one of them. Four days into the taper and all I can think about is food.

Despite the fact (or maybe because) I’m eating like a goat, I had a solid negative split workout last night. I ended up running the Lunken Bike Trail, which is super flat and was pretty much deserted. Plus it was just about dark by the time I hit my 30-minute turnaround point, so that was plenty of incentive for me to run faster. There are no lights on the bike trail and there are some interesting characters that appear out of the woods now and then, hence it only took me 26:44 minutes to run back to the car. Probably good that I had something to motivate me because my legs were a little sluggish.

Overall it was a good workout, but after a summer of Tuesday nights spent doing 8-mile hill runs in the heat, grueling road intervals, etc., I walked away from last night thinking “that was it?” Normally Tuesday night workouts leave me wanting to toss my cookies or at the very least, falling asleep in the shower. However, last night I had enough energy to make dinner (and actually eat it) when I got home.

It just seems messed up that I am supposed to be lazy (lazy meaning 20-25 mile weeks) right before the marathon. Feels like I should be cramming in as much running as possible, kind of like staying up all night to study before a big test. I know that's NOT what I'm supposed to do, so I'm now grappling with a drop in training intensity coupled with the urge to consume an entire carton of ice cream.

No comments: