Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Bea Arthur and a negative split run

I spent the last 20 hours in sunny Georgia for business. This trip fell at the end of a three-day sabbatical from running, so I decided to try and get a few miles in this morning before my workday began. Due to a lengthy battle with the snooze button, I knew it would have to be a quick workout if I wanted to make the 9 am client meeting.

St. Simons Island is actually a great place to run - totally flat with bike/run paths everywhere. As an added bonus, I wound up with the Golden Girls theme song in my head since the houses down there are that same architecture style and there is more wicker per square mile than you could ever hope to imagine.

Anywho, I’ve been reading that speed work is really important in this part of the marathon training (less than three weeks to go!) and I thought that a negative split workout would be a good way to get the most out of my short run. There was just enough breeze to mask the humidity, everything smelled like wet pine trees, and I had the road to myself. It was one of those awesome mornings when I honestly couldn’t think of anything else I’d rather be doing AND I accomplished my negative split goal.

Now, if I could just get my IT bands on board with this whole running thing.

I'm bound and determined to show these unruly bits of connective tissue who is boss, but what hurts the most is right around my left glute, which I can’t seem to get with the roller OR the Stick. I think I might have to go get a massage. There are worse things in life. :-)

No comments: