Sunday, October 12, 2008

Consistency is overrated

At least I hope it is. Otherwise I’m up a creek. :-)

Yesterday was supposed to be another MP run (I’m seeing a pattern here…) of 10-14 miles. I set out to do 10, with a four-mile add-on plan in the back of my head in case I got out there and was feeling super magical. Guess what? I was feeling neither super nor magical.

When I got to the top of the first hill, I was wheezing plus both Achilles were killing me. Ha. It was like I had never run before in my life. I’ve heard that I am supposed to feel like crap during the taper, so maybe that’s what it is? Other factors that may have been adding to my discomfort:

- The 85-degree weather. I can’t remember the last time I ran in anything hotter than 75 degrees.

- Fatigue from driving to/from Columbus the night before plus dancing. One of my college pals got married and I stupidly decided to cut a rug (in high heels) at her wedding. Note to self: No more Electric Slide before the race.

- Hills, hills, hills. WHY did I decide to live at the bottom of half-mile incline??

Whatever my problem was yesterday, I only did about 8 miles and averaged a 9:31 pace. And the 9:31 pace was tough. Shouldn’t I be able to do an 8-mile MP run with my eyes closed at this point? How was I able to run an 8:41 the other night? WTF is wrong with me?

I’m thinking of starting with the 10-minute mile pace group at the race. If I feel ok, I’ll move up. If I don’t…I guess I’ll finish with a 4:22?

No comments: