Sunday, August 9, 2009

Eight is great

I'm pleased to announce that I ran eight miles today for the first time since...the Pig. Oy. I've been slowly trying to increase my mileage and I finally worked up the courage to break 6.5, lol. It was humid enough by 9 am that I was drenched in the first half mile. I stopped in O'Byronville, stretched my angry achilles (they hate Torrence) and went on my merry way at what was probably close to a 10:30 clip. I can't get over how much my pace fluctuates these days but as I keep telling myself, I need to rebuild the foundation before I start freaking out about speed.

Today's run was to Eden Park, which is a little hilly but one of the most beautiful Cincinnati runs, in my opinion. Also, running through the park brings back a lot of memories:

- The awful Art Museum 5K in 2006 where no one could find the start line, people were throwing up at the top of every hill, and I laid down in the grass at the finish line (only to get right back up because the race officials were threatening to call the EMS :-)

- Running with my friend Joe right before I started training for the half Pig and getting really, extremely lost

- The first time I ran the Overlook with the Running Spot group (didn't even know that overlook existed...)

- Training for and then running the 2008 half Pig

- Hill repeats up Cliff Street training for Columbus 2008

- Holiday in Lights Run 2008

- Training for and then running the 2009 Pig

Anywho. It took me a good 30 minutes to get warmed up this morning but once I was going, I felt amazing and managed to take almost five minutes off of my time on the way back home, which allowed me to finish with an average pace of 9:30. Glad to see I can at least still pull a negative split run out of my @ss!

No comments: