Saturday, February 21, 2009

Mind over matter

Ugh...what a week. In the last nine days, I think I have had one day off from work (today is not that day. nor is tomorrow). I'm SO glad to be busy, especially in this economy, but the stress is getting to me - to the point where I'm so exhausted that running has switched from being a stress reliever to being "one more thing I have to do".

Needless to say, I wasn't completely jazzed to do 12.1 miles this morning. My legs were tight and I was a little overdressed for the run (it's a balmy 31 degrees), so I was kind of surly for the first few miles. However, we were doing part of the Pig course, the section from O'Bryonville to Mariemont, which reminded me that I CHOSE to be out there today and I CHOSE to train for this race. Training is the one thing in my life I can control (as long as my body cooperates) and since I like being in charge (hello OCD!) I really should be enjoying every workout even if it hurts. Remembering these few things helped me to have a much better run. :-)

Some other things that made today awesome:

- Chocolate Gu. This stuff is heaven in a foil pouch. It's like licking all the icing off of a cupcake but it's even better because you don't have to feel guilty about it. AND it didn't make me want to throw up. Amen to that.

- Our pace coach. Today's run was pretty hilly and the coach cheered us up every incline and kept us on track.

- The Boston Boyz. I don't know how they ended up with the 4-hour gang, but I got to run with some of the BQers for the last few miles. Since my goal (very very long term goal) is to someday run Boston, I kind of idolize these guys...

Average pace du jour ended up being between 8:35-8:41 minutes per mile. Happy.

No comments: