Saturday, February 7, 2009

Hungover long run

During training season, my Friday nights usually involve laundry, dinner at home, and me falling asleep on the couch by 10 pm. If I'm really feeling wild, sometimes I'll do yoga. However yesterday there was an all-you-can-drink alcohol fest (complete with DJ) in the lobby of my office (don't ask). This week has been incredibly, ridiculously and maybe unnecessarily stressful, so I had already decided I needed a drink last night. Just one or two beers at a local bar, then I would head home. But when the Sade started pumping into the lobby around 4:30 pm, I figured it wouldn't hurt to have some free cocktails at the office. Ha. One hour and six drinks later, I was very, very intoxicated. Some of my co-workers found themselves in the same boat, so we ended up in the rec room playing drunken kickball, ping pong, cornhole, etc. until 9:30.

What does any of this have to do with running? Not much really, except for the fact that said events made it difficult to get out of bed at 7 am today for my long run. Especially since I woke up at 2 am with a wicked hangover. However, I persevered and made it to the Running Spot promptly on time for our run. I spent the first couple miles just trying not to yak and by the time we hit the water stop at mile 6, I was dragging and my left shin was killing me (it is all bruised from playing kickball last night). Thanks to some cold water and the magic of caffeinated GU, I got my second wind and was able to truck up Gilbert to Eden Park at a reasonable clip. It didn't hurt that I met a new girl somewhere on Court Street - if we hadn't been chatting I don't know how I would have made it up that hill. :-)

I actually felt pretty good when we got back to the Spot, enough so that I went and did the three mile add-on for the double-secret group. The add-on was around Grandin/Rookwood - same loop where we do our nasty hill repeats. I ended up doing 13.72 miles at an 8:50 pace. Hello! That's my half marathon pace! Granted, I did take a 2-3 minute water stop at the Spot before doing the add-on but still...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You did much better than I've ever done on my hangover runs. Oh wait. You've done one of those with me. In Central Park. In 90 degree weather. Ugh.

Jives said...

Ha! Good ol' Mexican Pirate Trifecta. Apparently I handle vodka and champagne better than I handle red wine and rum. :-P