Sunday, February 1, 2009

Frost Nip

I've really, really had enough of winter. FYI.

Yesterday's run was from the Glendale store, so we got a nice change of scenery. Plus there are lots of suburban areas out there, which meant we weren't running on main roads - also a bonus. The only downside was that it was 8 degrees. We ran in similar temperatures two weeks ago, but yesterday felt so much colder. Everyone was wheezing for the first few miles, then I noticed that people's faces and hair were covered with ice crystals. I could see ice on my eyelashes - we all looked like little old men. Kind of funny.

I was dragging until about mile 4 (we were doing 11), to the point where I thought maybe I should have run with Group B. For whatever reason, I got a second wind in the middle of a big hill and I wanted nothing more than to kick that hill's @ss. I wouldn't be surprised if I was growling as I ran. I caught up with the 9-minute pace coach and stuck with him the rest of the run. My average pace ended up being 8:53. Yay!!!!

I've noticed that when I run outside for extended periods when it's 10 degrees or below, my fingers turn completely white (and stay that way until I've been in the hot shower for 5 minutes) and the skin on my hands and arms burns for a few hours afterwards. I thought it was frost bite but my little brother, who is a paramedic, corrected me - what I'm experiencing is frost NIP, not bite. Part of me is impressed that he is so medically savvy, the other part of me wants to give him a noogie. :-)

No comments: