Thursday, January 22, 2009

Yay for Yassos!

Careful what you wish for...I showed up at Crossroads last night anticipating a group run up and down Madison and our coach surprised us with...track work! Yay! We ran 2.5 miles to the Norwood High School track where we did five Yasso 800's.

There were four pace groups based on marathon goal time: 3:10, 3:30, 3:45, and 4:00. I did the 4:00 group and the pace (basically an 8-minute mile) felt really, really good. It was so dark (no lights at the track) that our coach was having trouble reading her watch. Hence, four out of the five 800's were below the 8-minute pace. I was pretty excited about that. Normally I want to yak during track work (for various reasons) but I was able to sprint the last 100 meters on the last two 800's. (Don't you just love the beginning of training season :-) The group in general seemed really pumped up - everyone was cheering each other on. So much fun...I felt like I was back on the Jr. High track team.

I'm also excited because I really like the lady coaching the 4:00 people. I've been making a serious effort to stick with her, especially on the front half of our long runs. This is good for me because it keeps me from taking off too fast with my 3:45 pals, which will help me train better to run a negative split marathon AND I'm meeting new buddies who actually run my pace.

I got home last night and was queasy, tired, and my legs were all locked up. Boom.

No comments: