Saturday, January 3, 2009

Ready or not

The marathon training completely crept up on me this time. I thought I had at least another week to try and get myself mentally prepared but no dice. The first group session was this morning and I dragged myself out of bed to go meet everyone at 8 am. Ugh. However, I have proven over the past few months that I'm barely capable of doing 20 miles per week by myself - no way can I do marathon training alone. I need the group to motivate me, or at the very least, plan my workouts. Lazy, I know.

Our run today was fairly easy - a five-mile loop from the Running Spot around Evanston and Hyde Park (plus an extra mile for me since I run to/from the store). I forgot to set my watch of course but one of the coaches said I finished in about 42 minutes - roughly an 8:24 pace. Nice! I did an 8:33 pace on my 6-miler last Sunday, so maybe I'm not as out of shape as I thought (although my pants are telling me a different story).

It was fun seeing my old running buddies/coaches and getting back into a routine. Even though we only did five miles I actually feel like I accomplished something (before 10 am!) AND I made my favorite smoothie drink when I got home. Happy. :-)

No comments: