Saturday, April 4, 2009

Sunshine Makes Me High

Heard that song on my way home from today's run and thought it was pretty appropriate! It's 48 degrees, not a cloud in the sky, and I finished my 18.6 miles without begging for mercy...what else could I possibly ask for? :-)

The workout today was up and down, literally and figuratively. We started from Crossroads and ran down Madison to Erie, where we followed the Pig course all the way through HP, Mariemont, Fairfax, the ever-scenic East End, and then hopped on Delta/Linwood for a long climb back up to Madison. I got to run with Tisha, and since we did kind of an early pit stop, it was just the two of us for most of the run. I always have fun running with her because we have the same silly sense of humor and she never rolls her eyes at me, even when I'm slappy and singing the Gummy Bears theme song, tap-dancing at crosswalks, etc.

Also, I love when we run to Mariemont. I used to live out there (moved away one year ago this weekend, actually) and I get a kick out of trotting around my old stomping grounds. Running on Columbia Parkway was also interesting. I don't even know if you're supposed to do that, what with it being a functioning highway and all, but it's something I haven't done before (this particular part of it anyway) and I like running new places.

Plus, my legs felt pretty good...until we hit Eastern that is. I can't tell if I need new shoes or if that stretch of the course just sucks the life out of me. Maybe both. I wasn't grouchy though, and by the time we hit Delta, the dead legs came back to life and I enjoyed the rest of my run.

Pace was a 9:16 average today...I'm getting slower (yes Dad, I know these runs are for endurance and not speed). The pace was comfortable and I don't want to push it. I'm in preservation mode I think. I'm watching the damage I'm doing to my body (don't read this if you're easily grossed out) - the blisters, the black/falling off toenails, the stress on my GI system - and it's bugging me more this season than last (or maybe I blocked out the memory). I'm seriously considering just doing a half marathon this Fall. I don't want to give up training completely, but I want to take a break before I burn myself out. I don't want to end up hating running (and I don't hate it...yet) so I think some time off will be a good thing. Not to say this will be my last marathon (I hope not), but do I really need/want to do two per year? TBD.

No comments: