Monday, April 27, 2009

Road Trip! Country Music Marathon

A bunch of my pals from the Running Spot decided to run the Country Music Marathon/Half Marathon, which is in Nashville, so we piled in the car for a road trip. I knew I would have to spectate the thing instead of run it, because I have no self control and would end up running too hard. Seriously. If you slap a bib number on my chest, you better get out of my way. Not a smart thing for me to do the week before a hilly race.

Anywho. Tisha and I had fun spectating the marathon, although we didn't see ANY of the 10 or so people from Cincinnati. I don't know how we missed each other given that:

- Most of our runners were wearing Running Spot shirts
- We were holding large obnoxious signs that said "Show us your Nip Guards" and "Running is Cheaper than Therapy"
- Our friend Robert is like, 6'6" or something and he and I are both VERY LOUD :-)

It was kind of funny that we missed everyone, since that was the whole reason we were there, but I think we motivated lots of other runners. Many Nip Guards were flashed our way and the dudes who didn't have Nip Guards just lifted up their shirts and petted themselves. Ok that part was a little disturbing...

In hindsight, we decided that spectating requires more work than just showing up at random mile markers on the course without telling anyone where you'll be. Oh well - lesson learned!

We finally caught up with our runners post race and enjoyed plenty of beer (Yuengling, baby!), naps, greasy food, more beer, and a few too many shots at a bar named after a trailer park. It was a super classy joint featuring girls in tube tops and lime green cowboy boots. In fact, it was such a classy place that some guy felt compelled to get on stage with the honky tonk band and propose to his girlfriend. If that isn't romance, I don't know what is.


The Running Spot Crew after a few drinks...

No comments: