Sunday, October 11, 2009

Tyler's Run + new PR

So, life was full of surprises this week and one of them was that I ended up doing a 5K yesterday morning. :-) A friend of mine told me about Tyler's Run, which is a run to create awareness around SIDS. Plus it was at Miami Whitewater AND you got a free t-shirt. Hard to pass up. Friday night I had the best intentions of not drinking any alcohol and getting to sleep at a reasonable hour. But then some pals persuaded me to go to the Comet, so of course I had to have a burrito and a couple of Allagash's (which I really do think I like better in a bottle). Anyway. You know the drill.

The 6:15 am alarm felt like it came way too early and I was cursing myself for eating Mexican before a race. Again. Dehydrated and uninterested in breakfast, I trucked over to my friend's house and a few of us carpooled across town. We registered (long-sleeved shirts - score!), huddled in the car for warmth, then finally lined up in the corral. The gun went off and the race went something like this:

.25 mile
Why did I wear shorts? It's f'ing freezing out here. Hate Fall.

.5 mile
Ugh. Lord, if I can make it through this race I will REALLY make an effort to stop drinking so much. And eat better. And get more sleep. I thought this course was going to be flat???

1 mile
Isn't it time to turn around yet?

1.5ish miles
Hooray for a water stop! Sad that I need one in a 51-degree 5K but I feel like a million bucks after a few gulps!

2 miles
A small child just passed me.

3 miles
I can hear someone coming up behind me. It's definitely a girl, which means she's going to place ahead of me in the female division (yeah, I have some competitive issues). Can I speed up??? No. No, I cannot.

Finish Line
23:58??? I won a prize in my age group! If only I knew what place I was...(guessing third)

I love small races because I tend to do really well in them. :-) They also frustrate me because I can never find the results online. How am I supposed to update my spreadsheet? At any rate, my pace averages out to a 7:43-4 minute per mile split. A new PR!

No comments: