Monday, June 22, 2009

Jives in maintenance

My off season has dragged on longer than I anticipated, for a number of reasons such as 60-hour work weeks, lingering pain from the Pig, and general lack of motivation. At any rate, I had been telling people I wasn't sure what I wanted to train for this Fall (half or full), but secretly thinking I would definitely do a full. Guess what kiddies? Ain't gonna happen.

I've known all along that I have a trip planned for 17 days in July, which will probably not allow me to run (I'll be hanging in the mountains of Peru building stuff). I figured I could just pick up training when I'm stateside again July 19, until I looked at the latest issue of Runner's World.

See, my dad and I are going to Portland, ME for our Fall race, and the event is on 10/5ish. According to Bart Yasso, I should have started training on 6/15 and need to be getting into some high-mileage weeks by 7/19. It's just not possible, and jumping into high mileage after my lengthy sabbatical sounds like a good way to get injured. Even I'm not that masochistic. ;-)

However, I really want to do a half in every state and this will (knock on wood) take care of Maine. Yay! I'm bummed that I don't get to do a full, but honestly, I wasn't mentally prepared to start marathon training in mid-June. So half marathon training seems like the right thing, and will give me more free time to do something equally fun in August, like learn to play the banjo. (cue Deliverance music)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Let me know when you want to do one in NY and I'll do it with you (you have AT LEAST 7 to choose from in the city alone.) ;)