Sunday, November 16, 2008

Tour de Cincy + free entertainment

After spending all day on my couch yesterday, I was feeling pretty stir crazy this morning and decided I needed a long run. Also, I needed a break from running around Hyde Park. Enough is enough already.

I thought it would be fun to run from my apartment to downtown, through Northern Kentucky, back through downtown, then up Gilbert through Eden Park to O’Bryonville/home. I don’t know why I never did this route during marathon training except that it has a ton of hills and I’m lazy. A good portion of the route also happens to be the Flying Pig course.

What I didn’t realize was that downtown would be crawling with Bengals fans. I’ve been to a Bengals game once in my life and had no idea they were home today (I really, really hate football).

Most of tailgaters were super nice and got out of my way. A few of them yelled “good job” and of course I got the obligatory dumbass comments from a few of them as well:

“You’re going the wrong way”
“Slow down”
And some other stuff I won’t repeat…

The whole mess was amusing and distracting. I was cracking up by the time I got out of downtown.

The rest of the run was relatively uneventful (it's hard to top hundreds of drunk people in orange tiger stripes). Once I got to Eden Park I was pretty exhausted and realized that I’m out of shape these days. Even so, I managed to do 12.8 miles in 1:54, which is only about 4 seconds per mile slower than my half marathon race pace. I can deal with that.

No comments: